Most of the available aerial camera mounts are designed for use on helicopters, which are both expensive and often not available in remote parts of the world. This Wing Mount Camera System by Last Refuge Ltd. is designed for use on Cessna aircraft which are cheaply available for hire almost anywhere.
It's a great (and economical) alternative when you're limited to flying in a Cessna, and as long as you're not using a long focal length lens (which would require a ball mount system), then this mount will achieve good and stable results.
The Wing Mount System is certified and approved by the CAA (Civil Aviation Authority, UK) and by EASA (European Aviation Safety Agency) under STC AAN 27643 and has operated commercially since 2002
Points to note:
- Film cameras using a Wing Mount cannot be reloaded in flight
- Tape or disc based systems can be reloaded in flight since the recorder is held inside the aircraft
- Takes super16mm, super35mm film cameras, HDCam, DigiBeta, EX-1, RED.
- Offers a forward looking view and can be tilted during the shot through 100 degrees to look vertically down
- Remotely operated shield protects lens during positioning
- Mount attaches quickly to wing strut with no need to drill or modify the aircraft
- Camera is controlled remotely from the aircraft cabin
- No need to remove a door
Click to see a demonstration film by Last Refuge Ltd