MoVI and Ronin Gimbals All you need to know
This comprehensive and useful guide to hand held gimbals has been written by Barry Bassett and Klim Jurevicius at VMI London , UK
All of these systems are operated with your arms in front of you, supporting a Gimbal plus camera system, so they are extremely arduous to use (save money in the gym!).
Various support systems are now available but we are not happy with the design of any of these at present, other than the conventional Easyrig systems.
- You may want to have a Director's monitor and this must by design be wireless, so we provide either the Teletest Telesend device, which is small but HDMI input only, so compatible with DSLR cameras such as Canon 5D, Canon C300 and also RED EPIC. For HD-SDI use, we have many wireless video links which can be supplied with a wide range of monitors but is not supplied with one as standard. The Teradek clip is an interesting option which is iPad compatible and draws very little power but is HDMI input only.
- C stand with K clamp and sandbag is a very useful rig for resting the camera and device. The sandbag is necessary to drape on the arm of the C stand to counterbalance the weight of the device. Trust me, you WILL be grateful to have a floor-mounted platform to rest the fully built rig during use if you don’t have a table top for the supplied holder.
The balancing of the Gimbal system is an essential skill that you must master. An ill-balanced unit will make the motors work too hard and drain your battery too much, prevent the unit from working properly and possibly burn the motors out, to mastering this skill is essential.
- Sony A7s, Canon 5D Mk2 & Mk3 and all DSLR form factor cameras
- Canon C300EF and C300PL
- Blackmagic camera
- Alexa Mini
- RED EPIC and RED EPIC Dragon (they do work but better on the long arm system)
- Sony FS-100
- Sony FS 700
- Sony FS-7 with small prime
- Sony PMW-F5
- Sony PMW-F55
- RED EPIC with Optimo/Alura short zoom
Ronin Thumbwheel controller as standard
- It is very easy to mount accessories (monitor, wireless transmitter, remote focus) with many supplied mounting points.
- Can be used in tiniest spaces because of briefcase mode.
- Can be used upside down in briefcase mode (image will have to be flipped in post!)
- The Ronin can even be used on the Jib as a remote head using the radio control handset
- Ronin payload - up to 7.3kg
- The Ronin is able to be set to work at an angle (roll) for creative purposes.
Important points about the DJI Ronin system
- Heavy. Twice as heavy as MōVI M15.
- So with heavy set ups, Easyrig or similar support system is advisable.
- Bluetooth app connection to Android tablets can be somewhat temperamental, so using the thumbwheel controller for setup is advisable.
- The rig is sometimes confused and this can be rectified with a reset. Always put this back on a stand before switching off and back on again to reset it.
- Failure to do this may result in the unit not being reset properly.
- Lightweight – just 2.5kg weight with largely Carbon Fibre construction and 6.8kg payload capability.
- Alexa M, Red Epic, Sony FS7, Canon C300/C500, Sony F5/F55.
- Easy to tune with autotune function on the App (tablet supplied with device)
- Can be tuned to exact smoothness and responsiveness.
- Has two different modes: Majestic (Follows every single op move), Smooth Track (Follows left and right while tilt stays in same position)
- M15 can be rigged on the jib and used as a remote head
- More refined operation compared with Ronin..
- Very well responds to operators movements.
- Angienieux zooms can be used in certain setups
- Versatile to set up as there is no exact camera accessory mounts on the rigs.
- Critical setup – the system is intolerant to a badly balanced camera system, so correct setup is crucial.
The MōVI M15 has been improved on the original MōVI M10 design with:
- Full Camera Cage
- Dual Pan Tubes (for greater payload)
- Quick Release Top Handle
- Custom improved sensors
- Dual Operator Mode with the Freefly controller, which is included as standard with the VMI MōVI M15 package
- Weight: 2.47kg/5.4lb
- Camera Cage: 203x203x197mm
- Maximum Payload: 6.8kg/15lb
- There have been subtle improvements on the MōVI M10 Gimbal unit to give this an easier setup, greater payload capability and a smaller flight case too!
Freefly MōVI Controller included now as standard with M15
Freefly MōVI Controller included as standard
MōVI Controller gives full control of the rig and camera accessories in one unit (MōVI remote, focus unit)
Phone/tablet app is not needed when MōVI Controller is in use as it gives complete control over the whole rig.
- RED EPIC and RED EPIC Dragon
- Sony FS-7
- Sony PMW-F5/F55
- Sony FS700 with limited choice of lenses
- Canon 5D Mk2 and Mk3 and all DSLR form factor cameras
- Canon C500, C300EF and C300PL
- Blackmagic camera
- However, the ARRI Alexa plus/Classic etc are not compatible with the MōVI M15.